Meet Matthew (Matt) Noggle, Assistant Vice President and Agricultural Loan Officer for Chelsea State Bank. Matt joined CSB in January 2017 with a lifetime of experience in farming, a sixth-generation partner in a family-owned farm, and three years as a loan officer for the Bank of Colorado, in Yuma, Colorado, managing consumer, commercial and agricultural loans.
It’s safe to say, Matt loves farming. It is certainly in his blood…and his career. “I have been an Ag lender for eight years now and five of those have been with CSB,” explains Matt. “I also am the sixth generation to run our family farm. So, I know the issues my customers are facing because I am facing the same issues myself farming. How many lenders out there actually are in the same business as their customers?”
Matt graduated from Colorado State University, in Fort Collins, with a dual Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Agricultural Business. Matt also studied at the Institute of Agriculture Technology on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing. He received an Associates of Animal Science from Connors State College in Warner, Oklahoma.
With Matt’s background, he joined the CSB Commercial Lending team to place a greater emphasis on agricultural lending. Chelsea State Bank has deep agricultural roots that include the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Chelsea, organized by Paul G. Schaible, Sr. and many other farmers in 1908. Agriculture is rich and diverse in the Washtenaw area and Matt understands the financial needs of the local farmer as well as the major agribusiness distributor.
“I started the ag lending portfolio for CSB,” said Matt. “During my first summer at the Bank, I would drive all around Washtenaw County and the surrounding areas stopping in on farms and having conversations with all the farmers introducing myself. I stopped in on one farm south of Saline and the farmer invited me into his house and he went on to show me his Arrowhead collection from the farm. We spent almost an hour together discussing his farm and collection. This is what I truly appreciated about my work with CSB. I get to work with people in my community and hometown and feel like I am making a difference in my community and the lives of my customers.”
Matt went on to explain that he appreciates CSB because he loves the community bank feel. “Being able to do what is best for my customer without having to fit the ‘Big Box’ banks’ molds is important to me. We have the ability to do all the same things large banks and farm credit bureaus can do, but with the small community bank mentality and treatment.”
Outside Matt’s role as Agricultural Loan Officer, you’ll find him raising cattle, one of his favorite interests. “I raise about 75 Sim-Angus cows that we calve out every year. My other enjoyment is taking my daughter out to see the cows and ride horses on the farm.”
As a community banker, Noggle is active in community service and serves as a Director for the Michigan Cattlemen’s Association and as the Young Farmer Chair for Washtenaw County Farm Bureau Young Farmers.
Other Fun Facts about Matt!
- What is your favorite pastime? College football or basketball
- What are your hobbies? Raising cattle, riding horses, and golf
- What is your favorite food? Chuck-eye steak
- If you were stuck on an island, what would you bring? A boat to get off the Island
- What is your favorite holiday, and why? Christmas, it is a time where everyone remembers what it means to put another person before themselves. We are all giving and getting to see the joy in their faces. Also, all the great times with family friends and food.
- What is on your favorite playlist? Paul Cauthen, Odeza, Cody Johnson, Koe Wetzel, Elvis, Jim Reeves, Johnny Horton.
- Current books you are interested in? Louis L’Amour Westerns
- TV show you can’t miss. The Witcher or Peaky Blinders
- Favorite quote? “Beef, it’s what’s for dinner.”
- What area do you live in and for how long? I live in Manchester and have most of my life. I am the 6th generation to work our farm.
- Family including pets! Wife Kathleen Noggle, Daughter Emerson Grace Noggle, Dog Scout, and Cats Sylvie, and Bacon